Working with a band saw is much more complicated than using some others types machines of wood working such as chisels or screwdrivers. After buying a saw and before operating it, it is essential to know about potential dangers you may have to encounter.
In this article, I would like to write about band saw reviews for possible risks in working with a band saw and some notes for you to guarantee the safety all the time.
Workers who work with a band saw can have accidents because of both objective and subjective reasons. In other words, the accidents happen due to the errors from the machine operation and the carelessness of workers.
Errors from band saw operation
- Structural parts: shifting gears, joints and all the parts related to linear motion can result in accidents.
- Loose screws: if the screws are loose, it cannot tighten the ball bearing and blade guides, which will be very dangerous for workers on the grounds that the ball bearing can be detached and deviate from the right orbit.
- Electric accidents: these accidents happen when the electricity is leaked; the fuse, outlet and electric wire are disposed to workers.
- Poisonous materials: workers cannot avoid poison from the materials which their customers require. The poison infection can cause risks of cancer.
Carelessness of workers
- Do not check the operation before working
- Do not wear clothes to protect themselves
- Do not follow right instructions or follow superficially
- Do not foresee what may come up in working to prevent accidents
- Do not prepare preventive gear and devices to avoid fire or explosion
In general, these are the most common reasons for accidents in sawing. Now, see more safety principles in my next part.
To keep working safety, you may check out some notes bellows. There are also two types of principles, equivalent to two reasons for potential risks.
Safety for the band saw
- Insure that the saw has full of safety gear.
- The band saw has all the knobs to switch on/ off, to adjust the blade guides or the saw table in suitable and safe positions to press.
- The materials must be compatible with the band saw working.
- Insert the blades suited to materials.
Safety for the operators
- Have a check for the structure of a band saw before you buy it or put it into using.
- Only workers that have a lot of experience in working with the band saw can get access to and use it.
- Do not try to use an old or unusable saw blade for the purpose of saving money as this is not safe.
- There should have at least two workers in working with the band saw to support each other and to prevent the accidents.
- Notice the operation, especially the speed of sawing. Try to push the material slowly and gradually.
- Only allow the wood of suitable sizes to be sawed by the blade.
- Do not use the machine for fun; this is a taboo.
Instructions for cutting wood
In terms of keeping safe during sawing, here, I will give you some instructions for cutting wood safely.
- Firstly, you have to keep the blade guide on the wood piece that you intend to saw. Try to follow the wood fiber and cut the right fiber. Do not have a cut on random position as it is difficult to keep it straight until you finish cutting.
- You must be the person who drives the wood with moderate speed so that cutting will not cause any injuries for you.
- Remember to use a pusher to have the most attractive line.
- For cutting materials that are easy to be rotten such as industrial wood, it is necessary to drill a hole (1/2 inch) to insert the saw blade safely
- For quick cutting, rustic saw blade is of the most suitability.
Now, you understand the way to keep safety while you are working with a band saw? I hope that you will have many more wood products with safe operating processes.